I Should Be Sleeping
It's been a week since I last posted. I have a million things on my mind and no time or energy to post about them.The twins turned 20 months on Saturday. That's a TWO and a ZERO, people. To quote my best friend, "That's emmereffin crazy!"The weather here in Southern Ontario was incredibly glorious last week, so we spent an inordinate amount of time enjoying it. The kids are so happy when they can spend so much time outside and happy kids make for happy parents. We found a new park just down the road. It is literally brand new and not just new to us. It has at least two feet of soft sand (instead of the hard gravel at our nearest park) to cushion falls and the equipment is super-fun and challenging.I bought some sand toys, some sidewalk chalk, and some little cars and trucks at the dollar store. Each time we traveled to the park, we sprawled out all of the new toys and invited other kids to come play with us. I loved seeing Chick and Pea walk up to the other kids and hand them a toy. It completely melted my heart. Isn't this what parks are for?Unfortunately, the weather over the weekend was not as friendly and we were back to spending time indoors. April showers? You betcha!I have learned to trust my Mother's Intuition. Ten minutes after we put the twins to bed on Saturday night, I decided to check on Chick. She usually plays in her crib until she falls asleep and we can hear her doing so on the monitor. On Saturday night, we didn't hear anything. When I went up, she was just lying there with her eyes open. I kissed her and left. I told J. that I thought it was odd that she was just lying there and he thought maybe she was just overtired. Twenty minutes later, I checked on her again and she was still lying there awake. I scooped her up and rocked her for a bit until she fell asleep. She woke up crying shortly after midnight (Chick never cries through the night unless she is sick) and was completely stuffed up and coughed (bark-like) until she conked out just before 5am. A trip to the clinic on Sunday revealed croup. Poor little thing.The doctor told us to keep Chick outside as much as possible and that the cold air would be good for her. So, when J. and Pea left to run some errands, I took Chick on a 5K walk. It was FREEZING and snowing, so I bundled her from head to toe. We were gone for about an hour (we stopped at a park midway so she could stretch her legs and have a snack) and when we returned home, she was full of energy and ready to play for the first time all day.I bought all of the fun Easter goodies we are going to give to the twins on Sunday and will assemble it all in their new Easter Baskets. We weren't going to do anything for them this year because they would have no idea otherwise, but something stirred in me that made me want to have them go on a hunt this year. I can't wait!We are signing up for a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) Organic Veggie Bin service from a local farm. In addition to lovely fruits, vegetables and herbs, we will collect a dozen eggs per week from pastured hens. The program runs for 20 weeks (from June to October) and I'm excited about buying from local farmers who are humane in their treatment of animals and the Earth.
You're right, it's downright cold right now! We had been sleeping with the window open but had to close it tonight. Miss the fresh air.
ReplyDeleteWhat fun to find a new park! We can't wait to check it out with you!
Easter will be such fun to watch your *sniff!* 20 month old 'babies' search for hidden treasures.
Hope your sweet Chick is feeling better soon. Sickness is awful and croup even worse!!
Hope Chick is better soon. Wow, 20 months. Makes me realise that my boy is 20 months and not 19 like I thought. DOH!
ReplyDeleteLife sometimes gets in the way of blogging - it happens
ReplyDeleteI can't believe the twins are 20 months old!! WOW! The time is passing so quickly.
The weather...I think the norm is about 12 degrees and we are not getting above 2?? I am ready for spring.
YAY new park!
How wonderful that the kids want to share their toys.
This weekend I BBQ'd for 40 minutes. In that time it rained, snowed, hailed and the sun shone??? ODD
Poor Chick. I hope she is on the road to recovery and fast!
I am glad that the fresh air helped her get more energy. Did she get any meds for the croup?
Can't wait to see the video of the Easter hunt.
Way cool about the CSA. I will have to look and see if we have anything like that out this way.
Crap...stupid work computer! I just wrote this long comment and full witty and drole things too!
ReplyDeleteQuick rewrite...gotta hop to it!
Time...need more of it. Less tv time for me would help but I like relaxing time at night.
Love new parks. Can not wait to move and be near our new to us park!
How are they 20 months old?!? In my minds eye, they are still little itty babies. Time...not only need more it, it is speeding along!
I am of that same toy sharing mindset but I fear that we are in the minority.
The weather here sux. Big time!
Hope Chick is doing tons better. We gotta listen to our gut!
We have similar services here and have wanted to join. Keep us posted.
Keep smilin!
Feel better, Chick!
ReplyDeleteDon't get croup, Pea!
As you know I am a big fan of the eggs I buy directly from the farm.
The problem with CSAs for me is that then I have to figure out something to do with all of these random vegetables I wouldn't normally use, and I might end up eating some of them on my own. DH is not eating any kale. I really like CSAs in theory, though, and they're great for people who actually know what to do with everything.
Like M said, life sometimes gets in the way of blogging. That's okay.
ReplyDelete20 months already? Wow.
Don't rub it in. Our weather is still crap.
Hooray for new parks!
That's so sweet how Chick and Pea share their toys. I've been to parks and seen kids start yelling at others because they dared touch their toys.
Sounds like your weekend weather was like our weekend weather.
Sorry to hear about Chick. Poor thing.
I'm glad the cold winter/spring air helped make her better. I guess there is some good for the bitter cold.
Have fun with the Easter goodies. Sounds like it will be fun.
I should look into local farmers. You would think it would be easy to find that sort of stuff here. Not so much.