Friday, March 4, 2011

Low Fat Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

I found a recipe for oatmeal chocolate chip cookies online, but it called for 1/2 cup of white sugar and 1/2 cup of brown sugar. Way too much sugar for my liking. So, I did a little research online and figured out some measurements and ingredients to combat all that sugar. The result? Wonderfully sweet and chewy cookies!
Photobucket
Even though they are low fat, I made them teeny because I wanted them to be of a reasonable serving size (cookies and muffins are commercially made atrociously large these days). You won't regret making these.

Low Fat Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

1 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tbsp butter, room temperature
 1/4 cup of agave
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 large egg
 2 tbsp plain, unsweetened apple sauce (increase as needed)
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups quick cooking oats
1 cup chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 350F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon
In a large bowl, cream together the butter, the agave and the brown sugar. Beat in the egg, followed by the applesauce and the vanilla extract. Working by hand, stir in the flour mixture and the oats until just combined and no streaks of flour remain. Stir in the chocolate chips.
Drop teaspoonfuls of the dough onto the prepared baking sheet, flattening each cookie slightly. Bake for about 8 min. Cookies will be light brown at the edges when done.
Let cool on sheet for 3 or 4 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

 The original recipe states that it will yield 24 cookies, but I squeezed out 45 with the my teeny cookies. I kept a few out and froze the rest. 
Enjoy!

7 comments:

  1. these look yummy! I think we'll try them out this weekend when the kids can help with with all the pouring and mixing (my girls get very upset when I make things without their help LOL).

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are now baking! You are rocking the domestic goddess status!

    Keep smilin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm! Those look super yummy and a great size for little hands. (Mommy sized hands may need a couple more than kiddos) but they're great for little ones.

    I've been in the mood for oatmeal cookies so baking these with Hannah might end up on our 'to do' list this weekend. Thanks for sharing!

    Was the only change you made to the 2 sugars? (ie - If bad me goes back and uses 1/2 cup white sugar and 1/2 cup brown, do I need to make any other adjustments?)

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look very yummy!!

    I am thinking you are on your way to making a cookbook of your favourite recipes for mom's on the go with twins!!

    Where does one buy agave?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those look very good. You are quite the domestic diva!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They wound really yummy. I may have to find time to give them a try. I have yet to find an oatmeal cookie recipe that I like.

    ReplyDelete