Sunday, December 19, 2010

A Letter To My Babies

May 16, 2009

To my precious boy,

I have held you in my body for the last 24 weeks and throughout this time, I have come to know quite a lot about you. You are very laid back, just like your daddy. Your movements are gentle, but distinct and I know exactly when it is you who is tickling or kicking me. In fact, you have found a little space inside of me where you are keenly aware of my bladder. You think it's quite funny to punch or step on mommy's bladder so that it makes me run to the washroom thinking that I have to pee. I don't mind, though because I love to know that you are exercising your little body.


You like to sleep when I sleep and when I am teaching during the day, you are very active. I wonder if you are learning all about the world religions that I teach. Do you hear my students asking about you? Did the fire alarm that blared through the school on Wednesday hurt your ears? Science states that you can hear our voices now. Do you hear your daddy talking to you in that weird voice he does? I don't know why he does it either. You'll get used to him as I have. He loves you more than anything and can't wait to meet you.


To my feisty girl,

From your first flutters at 13 weeks, I have felt you growing within me. You are a lot like me already in that you are active and like to make your presence known. I love the latest ultrasound picture I have of you that shows your little fists up. I know you are strong already and I can't wait to see the woman you will become.


I feel your movements more solidly than your brother's. Your little feet are up near the my chest and when they move, it tickles me. You make my stomach protrude outwards on the right side and I have spent so much time watching my bare tummy dance with your movements. Daddy likes to put his hands where you are so that he can feel you move. Last night, while daddy had his hand on my tummy, you kicked him so hard that he pulled his hand away. I think he thought you were telling him to stop patting you. We laughed together at your strength. I hope you always have this strength inside of you.


In just 13 more weeks, I will get to hold you both in my arms and we will begin our lives together. Daddy and I have waited so long for you both and every day is a miracle with you. Please stay comfortable and safe inside of me for the next 13 weeks and we promise to be the best parents possible.


Love,
Mommy 

I came across these letters I wrote to the babies while I was pregnant. I am stunned at just how much I knew them even then.  To think that I wrote that Pea liked to sleep when I sleep and now he really only likes to sleep in my arms.  That I wrote of his personality being laid back like his Daddy's.  He is SO much like J. in this respect;  calm, cool and collected (during the day anyway) and oh-so easy to love (always).
Chick's characteristics even in utero are so similar to who she is now.  Brazen, strong, feisty...just like her Mama.  I love that I used the word "dance" to describe her movements because she has been dancing ever since.  Her favorite thing to do to show her happiness is to dance. And, man, is she a cutie when she does.

I still can't believe they are ours.  All ours.  Forever and ever.

9 comments:

  1. Amazing how you did know them that early on!

    Three months later they proved how intuitive their mommy is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always loved your letters to your babies. How blessed you all are to have each other.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe how early on you were able to feel them. I'm still not feeling anything. Maybe I am and I don't know it? She's always so active on the ultrasounds.

    Anyway, I love how you express yourself to your babies. They are blessed to have such a wonderful mommy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bah you made me cry! I loved reading your letters to the babies, too, and love to hear your descriptions of them now. You were right and very in tune with their little unborn personalities. It's fun watching how they grow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. what jewels these letters are. I hope you are saving them in print form too!

    ReplyDelete