Saturday, December 11, 2010

Expectations and Kindness

When we took the wee ones to visit Santa at the mall the other night, I decided to put into action an idea I read about on Operation Nice.  The gist of it is to find a collection of those candy/toy machines and put quarters in the slots for some unsuspecting person to (joyfully) find. 

I was armed with a fist-full of quarters and all the excitement of a kid on Christmas morning.  I could hardly contain myself.  I chose some of my favorite candy machines, slipped the quarters into the slots, then walked enough of a distance away so that I wouldn't be obvious, but yet could still watch what happened when someone found the surprise I had left. 

Well, I learned a lot in the moments that followed.  Mostly about myself.  And, I guess this is part of the journey; learning about oneself through doing.  A couple of things in particular:
  •  I need not place expectations on acts of kindness.
  • I should not wait for a reaction.
What happened?  Well, a mother and daughter walked up to the machines.  The mother had coins cupped in her right hand and her daughter's hand in her left.  I was trembling with excitement.  Will they look at one another with huge smiles?  Will they look around to see if they could lock eyes with the person who bestowed the quarters?  Which candy will they choose?  Will they choose a machine with the quarters in it?  Will they use one machine, then move along?  Will they pay it forward by depositing their coins into the machines for someone else to find?

There was no visible reaction.  None.  The mother spun the turnstile and collected the candy, then moved on to the next...then the next, etc. until all the quarters had been used.  The mother then put her coins into her pocket and walked away.  No smiles. 

My vision was so different than what I witnessed.  I had hoped that she would only use one of the machines and leave the rest for other unsuspecting children.  I had hoped that she would pay it forward by depositing the quarters she was going to use anyway into the slots for someone else to find.  Wouldn't it have been lovely for the joy to continue?  Wouldn't any parent see this as an incredible opportunity to teach their children about "paying it forward"? 

I had to fight myself to not feel let down.  I decided, instead, to think that the mother and daughter would go home that evening and discuss what happened, then think of something lovely to do for someone else in the coming week.  That's what I choose to believe. 

After all, isn't it the season of believing in the goodness of people and in magic ?

7 comments:

  1. It is hard to keep believing in people some days. But I know you will. You have a huge heart. And to try to share your kindness is who you are.

    And that is why I puffy heart you!

    Keep smilin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have such a big heart!! I would have been thrilled to find a quarter in the machine.

    I would like to think when I was little and found a quarter in the coin return of a payphone that someone left it there for me. That would have made my day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would've been very excited about finding a quarter in the machine.

    It's unfortunate this person didn't feel that same excitement. But don't let one person ruin your faith in humanity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was JUST thinking the same thing yesterday - how I shouldn't expect to elicit kindness in others by having them witness me being kind. This happened to me at the grocery store… I was with Rowan, had a cart full of groceries and noticed that the lady behind me had just a handful of items. We had already been waiting a while and I let her go ahead of me. She was extremely thankful and kind which was nice. What bothered me is the fact that when my son dropped the box of cookies that he was holding and I couldn't get them for him right away because I was loading the conveyor belt, the people standing right there in front of Rowan and the fallen box - who saw me be so kind to someone else - couldn't be bothered to bend over and pick up the frickin box of cookies! I mean, that's just common courtesy. Who doesn't pick something up for a baby when they drop it? I looked at the people incredulously and they just seemed to look right through me. I won't let that stop me from doing kind deeds, but like you, I no longer have expectations.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ARG! My kids would have gone BANANAS if they had seen that! I probably would have thought it was a mistake and told the store....:-) But too bad! Because I would have LOVED to have seen a great reaction. Maybe that mom will look back one day and think differently. I hope so....:-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea! And, what a selfish woman!! My heart breaks for you as knowing you as I do I can imagine how excited you would be to share this gift of candy with others. Sadly she could easily be raising a child who will be as selfish as herself. So sad!

    You did a great thing and I for one will take up your idea and paying it forward will just have come from another avenue.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Once I was in a very small town where the parking meters cost 1 penny. I had an impulse to walk along and fill everyone's meters.

    Later I told that story to someone and he said that filling other people's meters is illegal.

    Oh.

    My little balloon was deflated.

    ReplyDelete