Friday, July 16, 2010

11 Months

Pea:

Your Physical Side
  • You took your first unassisted steps and your confidence is soaring in this regard. All you want to be is upright and walking whenever and wherever you can. You can typically be found cruising along furniture, along window sills, and pushing various objects around the house (laundry hampers, trucks, coolers, chairs, etc.). 
  • You are solid and as strong as an ox. You can take a hit from your sister and not even blink. You fall on your face, on your bum and on your elbows more times than I can count within a day and you rarely even whimper. 
  •  You have finally developed a taste for dancing this month, but son...it's not good.  Your head bounces off-rhythm and your bum shakes from side to side.  While cute, it won't get you the ladies (or the boys if that's your thing).  I'm just sayin'.
Relationships
  • This month marked the beginning of sibling rivalry.  Anything Chick has in her possession, you must have.  It doesn't matter if you already have the exact same thing - you have to have HERS too.  She doesn't think you're funny.
  • You still squeal with delight when you first see Chick when she wakes in the morning or when she wakes from her naps. 
  • You give Daddy big smiles and giggles, but it's me to whom you are firmly attached.  You don't like when I disappear to the washroom, to the kitchen, to the laundry room, etc. without your expressed permission.  You hold your arms out for me to pick you up and you love it when I carry you around.  
Language Development
  • While you have been saying Mama for months, you are definitely using it with purpose.  You usually call out for me when you're hurt and when I scoop you up in my arms, all is right with the world.
  • Your new words this month are "ite" (light), "mah" (milk), and "a-uh" (cracker).  You use the words "Goh" and "Doh" for everything else. 
  • You understand the signs for milk, more, cat, cookie, and out.
  • You love when we read to you, but we often have to stop because you like to rip the pages and sit in the middle of the book.  Your favorite books this month are "Brown Bear Brown Bear", and "Numbers".  You still love "Can You Moo" and especially love the "Cheery Little Chick" who says, "Cheep cheep cheep". 
Sleep
  • Generally, you go to bed between 7-7:30pm (and wake between 6-7am) and rarely have trouble getting to sleep.  Staying asleep is a different matter altogether and this month has proven to be a challenge in this regard. You typically wake at least once throughout the night and it usually only takes a few minutes of patting your back to settle you once again, but some nights are more challenging.  We're getting there.
  • One surefire way to settle you completely and easily is to take you into bed with us.  I love sleeping with your warm and sweet-scented body cuddled up against me.  I love it more than words can express.  I often lie in the darkness listening to your rhythmic breathing, your peaceful murmurs and feeling your hands against my arm or face. 
Food
  • This past month, you've tried some new foods:  tomatoes, cantaloupe, watermelon, strawberries, blueberries, cream cheese, english muffins, ravioli, curry, cauliflower, lentils, salmon, turkey burgers, veggie burgers, potato salad, grapes and quinoa to name a few.  You are not big solid foods eater and will generally pick a few things at each meal to taste.  Your favorites are grapes (you could eat them for days), yogurt, pasta with tomato sauce, and Arrowroot cookies.  Man, do you love those cookies!
Chick:


Your Physical Side
  • Though smaller than your brother, you certainly pack a punch.  You are quite strong and your affinity for tackling us when we are sitting on the carpet with you makes Daddy and I question whether or not you have superpowers.
  • You have long fingers and big feet.  We think you will be very tall when you grow up.  You will likely tower over Mommy at some point.
  • Taking your first unassisted steps this month, you were so proud of yourself.  You are still very unsure and a little shaky on your feet, but in no time you will be touring around the house with ease.
  • Your favorite pastime includes reaching for objects you know you are not supposed to touch.  Objects include DVDs, water bottles,  hot cups of coffee, vent covers, etc.  You know what "Ta Ta" means, but you are testing your limits with us and, while we know this is normal, you will never, ever win.  Ever. 
  • This month, we were finally able to gather enough of your hair into a pony tail on top of your head.  I'm sure you will hate us for it in years to come, but we have taken a lot of pictures of you with your pony.
  • Teething is difficult on you.  This month, your two top teeth broke through and it was a rough go for a little while.  
Relationships
  • You love your brother a great deal, but he frustrates you tremendously.  You give in too easily when he takes a toy away from you, but I know that will change in time.  
  • You tolerate Mommy through the day, but as soon as Daddy gets home from work, all is right with the world.  It seems that no matter what you are doing, you have to be within arms reach of Daddy.  Often, you will be playing with your toys with your back to him and will reach behind you without looking just to touch him to make sure he is still there.
  • You definitely have a preference for familiar people and will cry if people you don't know get in your face.  Personally, I'm happy with this.  I don't want you to be indiscriminate with the people you trust.
Language Development
  • You say "Dad" or "Dadun" to refer to Daddy and say it purposefully.  
  • Your new words this month are "yight" (light), "cah" (car), "cakuh" (cracker), and "hi"
  • You understand the signs for milk, cookie, cracker, more, and cat.
  •  This month, you began signing more and milk.  
  • You love when we read to you, but like your brother, you are a little destroyer.  Your favorite book is "Brown Bear Brown Bear" and you especially like it when Daddy reads it to you using his funny voices and sounds.
Sleep
  • You have always been a good sleeper.  You typically go to bed between 7-7:30pm and wake in the morning at 7am.  You rarely wake in the middle of the night and this makes your Daddy very happy (he's responsible for you in the night).
  • Nap time comes easily for you as well.  The only time you are allowed to have your soother is when you sleep, so going for a nap is exciting for you because your soother is present.
Food
  •  Daddy and I refer to you as our little "Tank".  You eat EVERYTHING we give you and make yummy sounds as you eat.  Sometimes I wonder if you would stop eating without us stopping you first.  We worry about you getting a tummy ache with all that you eat.
  • You have loved all of the new foods we have given you this month (the same foods we gave Pea) but you especially love salmon, chicken, and grapes.  Potato salad is also a big hit with you.  Actually, you love everything and it is difficult to pick just a few things that are your favorites.
Happy Birthday, Babies!  I can't believe that in just four short weeks you will be a year old!!  How did that happen?  Love you as big as the sky!!

    6 comments:

    1. This is so great! What a gift for the babies to have these little facts about their lives when they get older. I remember reading Brown Bear over and over and over again :-)

      I love how your happiness and love for Pea and Chick come through so strongly. LOVE it....

      ReplyDelete
    2. This is so great! What a gift for the babies to have these little facts about their lives when they get older. I remember reading Brown Bear over and over and over again :-)

      I love how your happiness and love for Pea and Chick come through so strongly. LOVE it....

      ReplyDelete
    3. Love it. I think I'm going to have a great big 'ole cry when they turn one.

      ReplyDelete
    4. I can't believe how quickly the time is passing by.

      Happy 11 months Chick and Pea!

      ReplyDelete
    5. I love how much they change at that age, all the accomplishments, so many new things

      ReplyDelete
    6. I can't believe they are going to be 1..
      Seems like yesterday you were heading to the hospital..
      Have a great weekend..
      Hugs.

      ReplyDelete