Though our babies have been with us for 18 days, we are acutely aware that they are not yet full term. Their gestational age is 39 weeks 6 days and we still have subtle reminders of their prematurity. Our girl seems to have navigated the first few weeks of life fairly well with only a bit of fluid to deal with in her lungs, but our boy has had a much more difficult time of it. The pneumonia he developed led to a difficult first week of life and it pained us so much to see all that he went through during that time. The IVs are out and the antibiotics have run their course, but his premature lungs and digestive system have a ways to go. He struggles with feedings and has a difficult time digesting his food. It's hurts us both to watch him pull his legs up to his chest with apparent cramps and gas. We do everything we can to alleviate his pain, but there is only so much we can do. Warm baths, formula for sensitive tummies, leg exercises, rocking, belly massages, etc. sometimes work to help him out, but he still struggles. Tomorrow marks the twins' full term age and we are hoping that our boy will begin to have an easier time of it. Look at his beautifully peaceful face here...this is how he should feel all the time.

And because we have to give equal face time to each of them, a picture of our beautiful girl.
Happy to be on Daddy's chest.
I am so sorry to hear that baby boy is having a difficult time of things. I do know that you will move the earth to do what you can to make it easier for him and baby girl.
ReplyDeleteHappy full term day to the twins!!
In time...
ReplyDeleteI wish him a speedy catch-up.
They are resilient little things.
He'll get there, poor little man.
ReplyDeleteAlthough Thomas even at full term always struggled with gas.
Bringing up his burps was hard and he was very pukey at times..yuk!
Thank goodness for leather sofa's...fabric sofa's would never have lasted!
He will get there, it's just a rough start to life but he will get there. I'm sorry your boy has been having a hard time though.
ReplyDeleteI love that smile, so cute!
Poor little lamby. I hope his digestive system soon grows and changes as it should to allow him more comfort. Poor little tyke!
ReplyDeletePrecious, peaceful pics of your breathtakingly beautiful boy and girl!!
Poor bunny! I hope this passes.
ReplyDeleteI love the pics...sigh...happiness!
Keep smilin!
They are sooo sweet.. hope he feels better soon..
ReplyDeleteHugs...
I know that you will move heaven and earth to make sure everything that can be done to help him feel better is done. Hopefully he will start to surprise you and be just as feisty as his sister.
ReplyDeleteThe pictures are precious. I'm in love for sure.
I'm not sure if this will help your son like it did mine but I have suggest it just in case. It made a HUGE difference for Alan. He was 4 weeks early and didn't have many issues but has had reflux.
ReplyDeleteI found a youtube clip of the doctor that wrote "The Happiest Baby On The Block". If you haven't read the book I would first watch some of the many videos with him from youtube then read the book if you feel it might help. I really feel like it changed our fussy uncomfortable baby in the happiest baby ever. I have been telling every new parent I meet about it!
-Jen-
Poor little man!!! What formula did your doctor switch him too?? Chase was a super crabby baby when he was first born!! When he was a month old I thought I was going to go insane! He cried ALL THE TIME. He had terrible gas pains and we really didn't realize it! Our doctor put him on Lactose free infalac and he was like a brand new baby in 24 hrs! He said some babies can't digest the lactose in milk at that young of age. At 6 mths we put him back on regular formula again and he did fine then! His digestive system could tolerate the lactose again!
ReplyDeleteHope he feels better soon!!!