Sunday, September 13, 2009

One Month Old!

Chronological Age:  4 Weeks
Adjusted Age:  1 Week
(The babies were born three weeks early, so their adjusted age is one week old).

 
Our lives are so completely different now than they were just four weeks ago and it's difficult to really illustrate just how different.  We have learned so much and know our little ones so much better now that they are four weeks old.

The Fun:
  • Both babies are now tracking objects with their eyes
  • Both have discovered their hands and arms (our girl discovered hers by week two and our boy just discovered his today)
  • The babies seem to talk to one another through grunts (they do this throughout the night)
  • We love coming home from an outing because of the "Stretchy Show" we get as soon as we take them out of their car seats and lay them on the carpet.  It's the cutest. I have video of it and may show it soon
  • We love feeding them because of the intense eye contact that occurs
  • Our girl purses her lips when we go in for a kiss.  We LOVE this!
  • Our boy tries to suck on our lips when we go in for a kiss.  TOO CUTE!
  • Their heads smell incredible
  • Their feet are totally kissable
  • I could truly go on and on and on...
The Challenges

  • Sleep...or lack thereof.  Often, when we finally settle one baby, the other baby will wake and want to have a party.  As well, when we finally settle one baby, the other baby will grunt or make some other loud noise and wake the other.  The lack of sleep wears on a person.  At this point, we are averaging less than two hours of sleep per night.  SO MANY people have said, "You should sleep when the babies sleep." But that would entail the babies sleeping at the same time.
  • Our girl is a challenge to soothe.  She dislikes the swing and the bouncy chair and when we finally do find a position or something that makes her happy, she hits herself in the face with her flailing arms and gets upset
  • Our boy likes to cry.  REALLY likes to cry.  While it's not a challenge to soothe him, it's a challenge to get anything accomplished because we end up holding him a lot.  He, too, dislikes the swing and will only be satisfied in the bouncy chair if someone is bouncing it for him
  • When they are changed, fed, slept-out, and generally well, it's hard to know why they are sometimes not happy
A whole month has passed and, while we wish we could slow time just a little, we look forward to the next month and all that it promises.  Happy One Month, Babies!  We love you!

13 comments:

  1. I've heard it truly is challenging to soothe newborn preemies. Hugs to y'all! And they are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW..
    Happy 1 month..
    Can't believe it .. seems like you just posted about those two sweet things just yesterday..
    LOVE little girl smiles..
    Things will get better..
    Hugs..

    ReplyDelete
  3. One month already???!!! No way! They are quite the adorable pair.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought your boy looked like a Vulcan when I first glanced at the picture with the fingers at the side of his head.

    Your girl looks like she is smiling!!

    I too can't believe that a month has flown by!

    They are so cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are just super duper cute. I am so happy for you both.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are divine! They have changed so much and it is wonderful to see but too fast. I hope that you find your groove and your Zzz's.

    Keep smilin!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi. I have never commented before, but have you tried to swaddle them? It would solve the hitting themself in the face thing. Many babies find comfort in being swaddled. Good luck. They are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVED, LOVED, LOOOOVED the newborn stage, but can I just say that it's the HARDEST STAGE EVER? THe lack of sleep...oh, the lack of sleep! AAAAHHH! Yuck. And the crying. Crying= stressed out Janet. I WORE some of my kids, just to keep them from screaming.

    My thoughts and prayers (and joys!) are with you. It's fun, but it is also hard! Worth every second. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy One Month Baby Girl and Baby
    Boy!!! You're both too adorable for words.

    Love you mommy and daddy! Hoping this coming month brings a ton more fun and excitement and...SLEEP!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. They are cuter than words. Each day will get better but most of all I hope that more sleep comes soon for both of you. I know how hard it is to function with a foggy sleep deprived brain.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Have you tried wearing them in a baby sling? One for you and one for hubs. Em was older but she responded well to her little lamb with sounds of nature.

    ReplyDelete