Thursday, October 2, 2008

Souls That Tremble

It seems to me that, in general terms, most people look outside themselves for the bravery and confidence they seek. Losing sight of the obvious, people tend to expect others to figure it all out, to guide the way and to provide the lessons to learn. We ask others for advice, we depend on others to weigh in on our decisions, and we often have a list of people through whom we pass ideas for evaluation. Every time we give ourselves away to someone else’s beliefs about how best to move forward in a particular situation, we lose a little of our own navigational aptitude.

The thing is, we all have it in us. This innate capability to know, deep down inside, the answers to our questions is within all of us. The obstacles are all of the voices that we have invited in. Think, for a moment, about the last time you were present at a concert, or the last time you were amid hundreds of people. Walls shaking, mirrors thumping with the beat of the music, make it difficult for most people to formulate a clear thought and make decisions confidently. Now, think about the last time you tried to work through a major decision in your life. All those voices crowding your head can be as distracting as those at a concert or party. We begin to consider how others would resolve the issue at hand, what others would say to our considerations, and we might even envision the ensuing judgment for the decisions made. Many of you can likely describe friends and family’s faces of judgment. But, in all of this, where is our voice?

What if, instead of sitting with a friend to discuss an issue or a problem, we sat with ourselves? What if, instead of relying on others to give us direction, we clear a path for ourselves? What if, instead of hiding behind the fear of the unknown, we venture out and embrace it? What if we decide to be our own heroes?

Quiet your mind. The answers will come. Bravery is not something that happens when you are full of confidence. Bravery is who you are when you are most terrified, when, despite all those outer voices clenching their tight grip, you continue to take that shaky step forward.

A hero moves with a soul that trembles.

11 comments:

  1. What if, instead of doing what my family was most comfortable with me doing, I did what I wanted to do most regardless of what they thought of it? Now THAT would change me as a person. This I struggle with each time they remind me of how selfish they are with their wants and needs, by telling me how selfish I am when I choose to do what sits best in my head and heart for me. I just simply need to stop giving a shit... easier said than done, especially when doing what they want keeps the peace. Perhaps moving to the great white north would solve it? I would have good company up there at least :)

    Thank you for this post... it's a good one - as all of your posts are...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful post. Yes, I have to seek within to hear what is my next step in the journey of life. What blessings we have experienced!

    Alyson
    Celebrating 17 days as Mommy to Alyzabeth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing post...and so true.

    A toast to looking within!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't you think many people need validation in order to feel normal? I guess that is what you are saying. But only we can figure out life for ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a tendency to ask for advice then not take it. I have pissed people off mightly doing that.

    I think most people don't want to take responsibility for their own choices. If they listen to the voices and something goes wrong it isn't their fault kwim?

    ReplyDelete
  6. ... and people wonder what draws me back to that monastery, again and again... :O)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautifully said....what brought that on, may I ask? My inner voice is pretty loud. I go on instinct alot. I also seek quiet time, give myself time to think before I act (most of the time) and can look myself squarely in the eye in the mirror. I think there are a lot of people in our world who cannot say that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful - it reminds me of a poem I love.

    Courage is armor
    a blind man wears,
    the calloused scar
    of outlived despairs:
    Courage is Fear
    that has said it's prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I sometimes wish I listened more to my inner voice. So hard sometimes...unsure if that is the right decision.

    Thought provoking indeed.

    Keep smilin!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is so true and we are all so scared sometimes to go with what we think without other peoples opinions.
    Is there something you are working through..?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sometimes I feel like a warrior taking that step with a quivering soul. At others, I am paralized with fear. Funny creatures we humans are. Thank you for such a wonderful post.

    ReplyDelete