I have been a fairly steadfast runner for the past 14 years and, though I always search for the fabled "endorphin rush"
"If I am still standing at the end of the race, hit me with a Board and knock me down, because that means I didn't run hard enough" -Steve JonesI don't know that I have ever achieved it. I hear about it, I dream about it, I crave it, but it never happens for me. I am comforted, to some extent, by this article in that it may all be a myth, but I still want to experience it as a direct reward for working so hard on a run.
I leave the house looking like this:
Fierce, right? Looking strong in my Toronto Firefighters T-Shirt, got the tunes going on my iPod, and wearing my Banff hat...okay, so maybe the hat is not so fierce, but still...
You'd think that I'd come home all strong and muscular-like ready to tackle the day, but no. This is what I do as soon as I shakily put the key in the door and let myself into the coolness of my air conditioned house:
Complete and utter collapse. I stay here for a good ten minutes, while I practically drown in my own sweat and while my legs twitch violently. K2 just shakes his head at me as he climbs over my listless body to get up the stairs. It's not a pretty sight, is it? This, my friends is the glory of running. I need a new sport.


OMG - I don't think I will ever be a runner...I don't like sweating!!
ReplyDeleteLOL!
Oh my word . . . sooooo familiar!!! That's so me! I can relate totally to this post. I have a complete love/hate relationship with running. You don't need a new sport . . . it's a good one!
ReplyDeletek
Ugh!! No thanks!
ReplyDeleteI look and feel like this but it's normally after running to the end of the driveway to catch the ice cream truck!
You're better than me. I get winded just going from the couch to the fridge. LOL!
ReplyDeleteI have had the "endorphin" rush, but it doesn't last long enough....:-)
ReplyDeleteThis post has me wanting to rush over and dust off my treadmill, filled with guilt over here..
ReplyDeleteOMG - me too! Ok, truth be told, it's me lying on the sidewalk gasping for air after running for 2 minutes. I used to love to run when I was a teenager - I'm not so sure about endorphins but I felt strong and powerful and like I could run forever. I wish I had kept it up!! Once in awhile I have delusions that I can still do it. And I can. For 2 minutes.
ReplyDeleteI dream of the day I get my groove back on to run again. It has been far too long and it has taken it's toll. I'm going to be pretty happy the first time in the coming days when I collapse by my front door (pending I am still breathing when it happens ;0)
ReplyDeleteI take it you've stopped throwing up then? ;D
ReplyDeleteMother of God you are gorgeous- those LEGS.
ReplyDeleteMakes me want to really get back into my running, but the heat index in my neck of the woods right now is at 107 today. And humid. No can do boss lady.
I have had that 'runners high' but only a handful of times. And when it happens (always unexpectedly) I kid you not I feel NO PAIN ANYWHERE- goose bumps from head to toe, and I feel like I"m flying and usually can run for way longer than my norm. Maybe it's a myth, but something has happened to me!
Maybe I'll just stick to my funny looking speed walking...:)
ReplyDeleteNice gams!
ReplyDeleteKeep smilin!
Hey, even if you're passed out for 10 minutes at least your out there doing something. Unlike me who sits and complains yet does nothing. I want to be you when I grow up.
ReplyDeleteYour "after" picture looks like my "before"...lol.
ReplyDeleteI. detest. running.
ReplyDelete