Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Turns Out, Not So Bulimic


There was panic in our house tonight. Long story short, K2 and I don't think I'm going to die anymore.

My neck is a bit better today and, although I thought I was walking a little less like the Humpback of Notre Dame, turns out I wasn't fooling anyone. Unsolicited advice about treatments for my neck came from colleagues, students and office mates. Everything from chiropody, to massages, to hot and cold treatments were mentioned. As well, many people offered their preferred pharmaceuticals to help alleviate the pain/inflammation. Since my stuff wasn't working, I chose to take the advice of K2's officemate and take something specifically for inflammation. Problem? Right after I downed it with a glass of water, I had a brain flash about my allergy to sulfa.

Join me, if you will, in a flashback a la Wayne and Garth:

Doodle Loo Doo, Doodle Loo Doo, Doodle Loo Doo....

Two years ago, my doctor gave me a prescription for meds containing sulfa. Many, many people have allergies to sulfa. However, upon taking half of the medication, I broke out in a full body hive that made me look almost fluorescent. Not a pretty site and when my doctor saw me, she said that the likelihood of anaphylactic shock was extremely high as a result. No more sulfa for me, was the grave direction and all of my medical files were updated to reflect this.

Doodle Loo Doo, Doodle Loo Doo, Doodle Loo Doo....

So, upon remembering this allergy I quickly Googled the medication and found that its principal ingredient is...you guessed it: SULFA.

Panic.

K2 instructed me to get my butt to the washroom to try to bring up the pill. I have never, EVER, tried to make myself sick before and had no idea how to even go about it. Try as I might, with the guidance of my K2, I could not do it. A failure at trying to save my own life. Sigh.

I made a decision then and there; no more panic. I was going to sit down, eat the rest of the rice I had made and breathe. K2 watched my skin for signs of fluorescence and I monitored my breathing. All was well.

It is now four hours later and I am still breathing and still a pale Irish white.

Good times.

15 comments:

  1. Good times???

    I guess so - you are still on THIS side of the grass!!

    Take care of you and I hope you are all better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good times...?

    Yet another thing we have in common...

    Take care of yourself, woman! That's an order. I hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good times for sure! Sounds like it could have been a lot worse!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Scary evening! Hoping you stay a pale Irish white for a while and that you can have a good night, allergy free and pain free.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You being alive and hive less...VERY good times!

    Keep smilin!

    ReplyDelete
  6. holy crap. i also have a sulfa allergy. thank goodness you are ok.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can get sick, just thinking about something gross ;-( I'm glad that your okay now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm very glad you are okay. Sounds scary. Please post tomorrow so we know you made it through the night still a pale Irish white. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. holy crap, woman, you do lead an exciting life. no more drugs for you.
    Cari

    ReplyDelete
  10. Goodness! Glad to hear you're allright! And BTW loved the Wayne & Garth reference! Doodeloo..doodeloo...Ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ok I'm sorry, but I read "Good times" and started cracking up - that's a fav line of mine and my friends...lol.

    Sorry to hear you couldn't pray to the porcelain god, but good that you still didn't have a reaction! I for one am someone who cannot spew at all unless I stick a finger down my throat. There have even been times where I'm violently ill, and still, I can't puke. Must force myself. Of course there were also moments when it came right up, but those are few and far between. I guess my body has an allergy to vomiting ;)

    Glad you're still pasty white, my sistah.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm with the Mog-myster. I get sick just cleaning up puke. So....I could easily do that. Not that it's a talent that I'm proud of.....

    As for the allergy, I'm SO glad that you didn't react! I am allergic to penicillin and get quite the beautiful hives when I take it. (although I haven't had it for a VERY long time....)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Getting a little worried. Hopefully you are just elbow deep in papers...not elbow deep in hives and looking like a glowing space alien.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sorry but you made me laugh with this post, is that bad.

    Glad you didn't have a reaction.

    ReplyDelete