Friday, June 27, 2008

Summer Vacation Begins!

When my alarm cruelly shrieked in my ear this morning, I pressed "snooze" as per usual, stretched from head to toe and grinned even before my eyes opened. Today marked the last day of school and everything about my morning routine seemed brighter. My shower was extra hot, the coffee was extra yummy, my morning drive was sunnier than normal and my step seemed a little lighter.

Sigh...it's been a difficult school year and, although I enjoyed the job, the loss of our three babies made it a tough one emotionally. I was telling a co-worker today that the job of teaching has to be one of the most difficult ones in which to suffer an emotional crisis. We are "on" for 90+ students all day and do not have private offices where we can take a breather if need be. Heck, I can't even have a washroom break during the day, let alone have some time alone if tears come.

So, I'm happy to say goodbye to this school year and H-E-L-L-O to a beautiful summer ahead.

This morning, I was presented with a service pin for 10 years of service with our board. I have been a teacher for 12 years, but 10 with this particular board. The "Supernintendo" was there to shake my hand and while it was a nice "publicity" touch, I've never been a fan of the big guns coming out for such things. I would rather he come into my classroom to see how I teach with fewer than 50 text books for 90+ students. But, meh, it's a nice pin.

So, how does one celebrate the end of the school year and the beginning of many weeks of laziness? I went to lunch with a friend of mine who suffered the loss of twins last year as well and we spent a few hours eating, sharing grief and planning future lunches and dinners out together. Toward the end of the meal, eight...EIGHT mommies with their newborns entered the restaurant and sat right next to us with their tiny babies and massive strollers. T. and I just looked at each other and knew. "CHEQUE!"

Tonight, I made margaritas and K2 and I are simply lavishing in the luxury of a Friday evening with our favorite Kitty. We live a simple life, K2 and I, and I wouldn't want it any other way.

My Margarita!



A Typical Friday Night

20 comments:

  1. Congrats on surviving the year!!!

    I LOVE your idea of Friday night! We are cuddled up and watching a movie ourselves!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean.....I am SO GLAD that the year is over. I'm exhausted, and have nothing left to give. I couldn't even stay at my staff party, I was so tired.

    Take care of yourself and maybe we'll see you this summer!
    C

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let the good times roll! Have a 'rita for me...

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad your summer vacation has arrived! Enjoy! The margarita looks so yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish you and K2 a wonderful summer full of Kayak trips and friends, family and margaritas...

    ReplyDelete
  6. That margarita looks like a slice of heaven.

    I hope you have a wonderful summer filled with peace, fun, healing, comfort and love.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear K1
    One more year down. You are catching up to your old man!
    You and K2 know how to enjoy life and make time for the important things together. You once said that, "you didn't know if you could do this thing". Well you did it and did a damn good job of it. Enjoy all your Friday to Friday nights.
    Love
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can I tell you how much I love your dad???


    Congrats on finishing this year. I know it's been extremely difficult year for both of you. You deserve this time off. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds glorious, K! Congrats on making it through another year. Enjoy your sunmmertime. Make those massages a habit.

    ReplyDelete
  10. SOunds lovely. And whereas I'm not a big fan of the margarita, the strawberry looks delish. I love the bottom of your capris, too. :-)

    Oh, and I agree with you on the "Supernintendo" part. They should spend more time where the real stuff happens.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Have a great summer! And congrats on the 10 anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ahhh...sweet, sweet summer! Glad you're celebrating in style...and possibly still sleeping since it's only 11:19am! :o)

    Tried to *gasp* call you last night but heh...had the wrong number programmed in my cell. Was on my way to my parents place and was just calling to say hi during the drive.

    Congrats on 10 years friend. You've touched many lives in an amazing way!

    Have a great weekend in spite of the weather. Love you bunches. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yea to summer vacay and kicking up your feet with a martini! Can I come over or what? ;O)

    ReplyDelete
  14. You certainly HAVE been thru a lot this year, sweet girl. I'm glad the school year is behind you, and you can relax with your family and friends this summer.

    P.S.
    Your friday night looked PERFECT to me too...

    ReplyDelete
  15. This has been quite the year for you.We certainly have gotten to see this incredible, strong and empowering and inspiring woman.
    Have a wonderful summer, enjoy every well deserved second.
    Happy 10th. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yeah! You deserve all the warmth of the summer sun, long sleep ins and time for yourself. Your Friday nights look like ours...'cept subsitute kitty paws for puppy paws.

    Keep smilin!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy Summer!! Enjoy every second of it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You definitely deserve the time off and some fun. Enjoy every second of it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Here's to a fresh new start after a relaxing summer vacay!

    PS. You had me at margarita. ;)

    ReplyDelete