
Immobility makes a person do crazy things. Mark knows...I generally don't like to be touched by just any ol' person. More specifically, my bubble is larger than most others' bubbles and I like it when people keep their distance, thankyouverymuch. If I am warned, things are okay. For instance:
"I'm going to hug you, K1.", is always a good idea. I widen my stance, bend my knees a little, and brace myself for the
I jest...a little.
However...
A couple of weeks ago, when I couldn't move because of yet another "trapezius spasm" (also known as a "big knot in the back of my neck") I decided it was time to bring in the big guns.
I called my doctor and got a referral for a weekly deep tissue massage."Massage is the study of anatomy in braille."
~Jack Meagher~
There would be touching. Gasp.
Today, I sat in a state of pure panic in the office of a local RMT as I waited to be called in for my very first appointment. Not only would there be touching, but I would be decidedly less dressed than normal. How would I ever do it?
"Nervous McSweaty Pants?" They called.
"Yes", I answered.
It was time.
And, you know what? It was fine. Better than fine, actually. As I gave in to the pressure and the pain of it, I knew that I was doing something equally as beneficial to my health as running a 5K. There were several, several knots and she worked her fingers off trying to get them out. She was successful with some, but the big one that caused the immobility will take some time.
Tonight I am sore, but I know that it will get better as my muscles begin to stretch out and move back into a healthy alignment.
So, I suppose touching isn't so bad after all...especially if the result is a happier, healthier girl in the end.
YEAH!! I am sooooo glad you did and even more glad that you enjoyed it!!
ReplyDeleteI know how much you love your personal space, this is huge! I'm glad you didn't find it as bad as you thought it would be. Hope the knots release soon.
ReplyDeleteHope you're feeling better soon!
ReplyDeleteHurt so good! Glad that you gave in and feel better.
ReplyDeleteKeep smilin!
you'll be addicted... mark my words pretty lady... addicted... I had the same nervous touch issues- not so much anymore :)
ReplyDeletehere's to hoping it makes all the difference!
Mmmm...glad you enjoyed it. It's tough when things are out of our comfort zone but I'm glad it was beneficial to you.
ReplyDeleteWarning...next time I see you K1 I'm coming in for a hug!! :o)
I TOLD YOU IT WOULD BE GOOD!!!!
ReplyDeleteHope you feel better soon!!!
The laying of hands is a powerful thing. Enjoy it.
ReplyDeleteYou're funny.
ReplyDeleteI am glad that you tried something new and that it worked! Hopefully if you keep going, she will be able to get that main knot out.
ReplyDeleteIf someone was willing to rub my back or neck, I would strip buck naked on the spot..... and it wouldn't be pretty!!
ReplyDeleteI don't mind people who I know very well touching me....but complete strangers? no way! No one has talked me into a massage yet.....if I were in pain, maybe. But I would be "Nervous McSweaty Pants" too....LOL!
ReplyDeleteOh gosh, I love massage's! I have this girl who is amazing at deep tissue. I've been buckling down lately, so I haven't splurged for some time now. Although, I agree, massage is more than just splurging, it is really good for you!
ReplyDeleteGlad you enjoyed yours. :)
I have trapezius muscle issues as well,
ReplyDeletesleeping wrong......and it is awful.
I don't particularly like being touched and I did have a massage once.
I hated it, it creeped me out
and really only made my neck feel better for a short time
then the pain really came back.
There is a ten dollar thing
called a bed buddy
which are beads in fabric with a handle on each side kinda designed to be a neck wrap.
you microwave it for a minute and it's good to go and sweats that muscle. moist heat. and then stretch while wearing that heat
and it really does work wonders.
and the thing is, you don't have to wet it, just nuke and go and can be reused forever.
I sound like a commercial I know....but with whiplash accidents.....my muscles are problematic in that area...shoulders/neck
and I LOVE this product.
Wow -- I could have written this! I had one massage that totally freaked me out and have serious space issues. In China I had another - fully clothes - that was not intimate, but was very intense. Whole body and very cool. Oh, and $8.00, including tip. Of course, the travel expenses were huge.
ReplyDeleteI get knots in my back that are quite painful, but exercise helps. Glad to hear you enjoyed the massage.