Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Breathing...still

So, I keep wondering if I should be writing. On the one hand, it is very cathartic to write and to get it all out. On the other hand, there is the risk of exposing too much or of having people think I am focusing too much on the bad stuff. Do I worry about what other people think of me generally? Not so much. Do I care of some people think that I have lost perspective? Not so much. If people don't want to read authentic writing (that is sometimes steeped in loss), then there are plenty of other blogs out there that wreak of peaches and roses and people are completely free to unsubscribe from me and head over there.

Still here?

Interesting.

A huge thank you to those of you I know and to those of you who came out of lurkdom to comment on my last post. I thought about turning comments off for that one, but chose to welcome the support instead and I am glad that I did.

I went back to work yesterday after being off for the last week and it was hard. I teach in a portable and the nearest washroom is quite far away. I cannot leave my students for any reason and, as such, I worried about spastic hormonal crying episodes, sudden onset of mind-numbing cramping, and bleeding through every layer of clothing I wore. Luckily, none of those things happened in front of my students and I only had one crying episode and that happened during the twenty minutes I spent in the washroom trying to compose myself (on my lunch).

I did bark at one of my students who, upon seeing me for the first time in five days, did not say, "Good morning, Ms. Awesome Teacher Who Is Always So Good To Us, welcome back!", but who instead blasted into me about how much he hated the supply teacher. It was the first time I lost my temper this semester and told him how utterly disappointed I was that after five days, I did not warrant enough respect to be given a simple, "Good Morning, glad to see you're back". I know he is only 17, but it bothered me in that moment.

I bought flowers for my flower garden on the way home from work tonight. A step toward life, I think. I will try to keep them alive.

We dismantled the crib. Okay, so K2 dismantled it before I got home from work yesterday, but the decision was mine. We assembled that crib back in 2006 when referrals were slated to come between 6-9 months after LID. Who are we kidding now? Time to dismantle and re-evaluate later. We both cannot bear walking by that room any longer and we will slowly devolve it back to the guest room it was before 2006.

In the midst of all of this, we are updating our home study (five months overdue) with heavy hearts for what is happening in our daughter's country this instant. Thoughts of all of those children who have died makes my heart hurt even more.

This is a little all over the place. Bear with me.

24 comments:

  1. Glad you are still breathing. Take the time you need and don't let anyone tell you you have had enough time to grieve.

    If they do - let me know and I will take care of them!

    Don't let anyone tell you how you should feel. You feel what you feel and that it that.

    I am here for you, not going anywhere, and thinking about you all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not peaches and roses all the time so why try to make it seem like it is? I appreciate your honesty and hearing what you're going through. I hurt for you and wish there was something I could do. You and K2 continue to be in my thoughts and prayers.

    k

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is good to write your feelings. Life isn't always happy and I will continue to read through the good and the bad. Thankfully K2 dismantled the crib before you got home. After we lost our sweet baby and two failed adoptions I sat in a heap trying to get the crib down through all the tears. It was so heart wrenching and I was filled with so much bitterness and pain. I will say although we still do not have kids and it has been almost 11 years, but the pain does ease a bit. I wish I could wipe it all away for you.

    I wish I lived closer ... we could go kayaking. I'm sure I would brighten your spirits just a little because you see, I have never been in a kayak, but my mind and heart have been kayaking so many times. Someday I will learn and have my very own kayak. I'm sure my first time out I will be upside down so fast. :-)

    If there is anything that I can do to help you through this time I will be here for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Little steps...I am happy to hear it. Do what you need to. Feel what you do. It is yours to live and no ones to judge.

    Always here. Never wavering.

    Keep smilin!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so sorry K1...there are no words to console or to heal...please know I'm here to listen anytime.

    I'm glad you are real and authentic in your posts. I have felt the same vulnerability in some of my posts, but we aren't writing for other people, we are writing for us and to tell the story of the miracle of our daughters.

    I pray that planting your flowers is therapeutic for you this week. Keep breathing...

    ReplyDelete
  6. My love and good thoughts are floating to you via warm spring breezes and rose blooms. Although most of us have experienced this kind of loss it always breaks your heart to know it happens to others and they will hurt the way you did.

    As for that 17 year old...snap away...he probably deserved it for one thing or another. They all do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anyone who thinks that life is all peaches and roses doesn't live in the real world. We're here. We're not going anywhere.

    Sending you a big, fat healing hug...take all the time you need.

    ReplyDelete
  8. One step at a time, K1. I have always felt that writing is good for the soul.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Honesty is what I value. Even when it's hard to hear or hurts in the telling of it. Honesty. That's real.

    Your words and support have helped me in the past. I only hope mine can help you, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Write...all over the place its your blog.

    Heal...in your own time not any one else's.

    Live...one day at a time if thats what it takes.

    Smile...because you are loved and cared about by many.

    Thinking of you both.

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  11. ((hugs)) precious friend. We are here for both of you. Loving you through this time. Supporting you and caring for you. Do what is best for you and we'll be here with you.

    Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Keep on writing. I am proud to call you my sister and best friend. I love you both and wish that I could take your pain away. I agree that you are not the same person you were two years ago. You are now stronger, wiser, and take greater pleasure in simple things. . I believe that people are drawn to you as a result.

    I have faith that you will find your way to happiness. Although the path has proven to be longer than expected, know that I'll be at your side every step of the way.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Life is not peaches and roses 24/7....sometimes life just plain sucks...that being said...those who understand your pain realize that....you are beautiful, your writing is beautiful and although I do not know why we must go through these trials in our lives, I do believe that some how they are shaping us for better things to come!

    Hugs to you....
    Steffie

    ReplyDelete
  14. I feel as though I will always bear with you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so sorry. I'm not sure what to say. I cannot say I've been in your shoes. Your thoughts and emotions are so very valid. They are yours. Let no one judge them.

    I am thinking of you ...
    ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  16. Keep up your good writing. If people don't want to read it they won't.

    So sorry for everything that is going on with you all. Would give anything if I could change it.


    hang in there, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  17. When I was going thru the darkest time in my life - I wrote and wrote and wrote...it was the only thing that helped me work my way thru it. (that and prayer...I also prayed and prayed and prayed.)
    Wait, and I also cried and cried and cried...but I digress.
    You know how I feel about you. My thoughts and prayers are with you often!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are so real ~ and that is so refreshing. Don't ever change.
    Do things in your own time, on your own schedule. You are so real and much healthier than 99% of 'um!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is your blog and you can write whatever is on your mind. It's not always going to be pretty because life isn't always pretty.

    We will be here with you on this crazy journey until it's end.

    Take all the time you need and do whatever you have to do to heal. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  20. K1 and 2, My eyes are filled with tears as I type this. I have been adsent from blogville for awhile and an sadden to hear the news of this past week.

    My heart breaks for you. I pray that your heart will be united with the baby of your dreams. May you always have a shoulder to cry on and friends who are there for you. I am at a lose for what else to say but please know that you are never far from my thoughts. May you find comfort where ever you can during this time.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Write, it helps, it heals and is cathartic.
    Life is not always peaches and roses, it sometimes is full of crap and hard knocks.
    I wish more than anything you, K2 and your family didn't have to endure this pain.
    We are here for the duration, take your time, know that we care..

    ReplyDelete
  22. Breath in, breath out....we are all here.

    Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm glad you're writing. You have a lot to say and it's important.

    ReplyDelete