Friday, November 2, 2007

Friday Furrow

I try to leave rants off the blog as much as I possibly can, but something has been irking me since late October and I am at my boiling point.

November is a month to remember our fallen soldiers. Their service to our country means something to me and I think means something to a great many people. When I see Christmas decorations in stores prior to November 11th, it makes me want to tear every single HO HO HO banner and Twinkling Light Display down. The least we can do...the LEAST we can do is wait until November 11th has passed to begin celebrating the yuletide season. The somber events that make up the services that we will attend need not be suffocated by red ribbons and tinsel.

It's the least we can do, lest we forget.

19 comments:

  1. It is so sad to see how the 11th is a day that people do not respect as a day of remembrance nor do they appreciate the sacrifice so many have made.

    Keep smilin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you 100%! I use to work in a mall when I was in school and the worst was when they put up the deocrations BEFORE Halloween. It's terrible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so true, so very true.

    Sandra
    http://jazzieandtahlia.typepad.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hear, Hear. Well said.

    Lets not forget the ones still fighting too. We send care packages to them, mainly to my step brother in Iraq and they all share. THey miss the little stuff so much and are sacrificing so many things so that we can live in an unaltered state.

    ReplyDelete
  5. By the way - I like the new header.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're right K1 - I haven't really thought about it before, but now that you mention it - YOU ARE RIGHT and I agree - it SHOULD be after November 11th.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hadn't really thought about it but you're so right! Guess I was so glad to see the end of the witches, ghosts and gouls that I was glad for the excitement of Christmas. I like seeing the little ones all dressed up but am not a fan of the 'dark' side of Halloween. I'm sure you're not surprised by that.

    I have a neat post coming up that I think you'll like. Going to save it for Remembrance Day.

    Love ya friend. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. K1 I've often thought that myself but never was able to quite put it in words. I wish Canadains were more like the Americans with their pride in their soilders.

    Thanks for reminding us all that we have our rights and freedoms with thanks to many who lost theirs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is easier to focus on the happy stuff. This is why the US has been stuck screwing with Iraq for this long. no one cares.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Never thought of it that way but you are completely right.

    Thank you for giving me something to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Point well made. Consumerism run wild.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hadn't really thought about it that way either but you are right! On another note I think Christmas is way too commercialized anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really think Nov. 11th does not get the respect it deserves, it makes me very sad and angry.
    It infuriates me to no end when I see Halloween decorations on one side of the aisle and Christmas on the other.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, but we have our priorities in this country --- SPEND SPEND SPEND!!! And in order to get our money we need to be enticed by the spirit of Jesus. Yea! I'm feeling the need of toys and diamonds wrapped in tinsel and swaddling clothes. Praise God.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are so right! It seems like the minute Halloween was over, Christmas was on the shelves. Crazy...

    ReplyDelete