The truth is: I am the hero of my life. I heard someone talking of this the other day and the notion of it literally stopped me dead in my tracks. I leaned in. Wondered. And then, clarity.
I am, and always have been, fiercely independent, fiercely loyal to my values and undeniably solid in my opinions. What I neglected to realize was that I have always been my own hero. Although I seek advice from friends and family, when it comes right down to the tough stuff, I am the One who pulls the trigger. Thinking back on all of the decisions that I have made, all of the difficulties that have arisen, and all of the days and nights spent wondering if I could take another step forward I have come to understand the leap of faith consistently begins and ends with me.
Realizing this does not preclude interdependence. In fact, the mere notion that I am my own hero stems from opening myself up to the ideas (and ideals) of my cohorts in this life's journey. I am only myself because I choose to be in relationship with others. I choose to learn from others, feel acceptance from others, and be vulnerable with others. From this interdependence, I cut a clearing for my own path.
My path.
I am my own hero.
what a deep and wonderful posting.
ReplyDeleteI followed every word of it as if it were my own.....
Thank you for sharing and making me a little more thankful today....because I too am my own hero.
Profound.
ReplyDeleteK1, how deeply profound.
ReplyDeleteYou are a wonderful writer. Thanks for sharing.
Sandra
jazzieandtahlia.typepad.com
You have a way with words. Thx for making think.
ReplyDeleteKeep smilin!
That's fabulous. You remind me of my husband. I'll get there... someday.
ReplyDeleteThat's great, beautifully written.
ReplyDeletethat has certainly got me thinking...
For someone who has seen your life unfold I knew years ago that you were independent,solid in your opinions and very very loyal. I also knew you wanted to and accepted the challenge of being the one to pull the trigger after serious consideration and deliberation.
ReplyDeleteInterdependence and solitude are not enemies as there is a place for each.
Sleep well "Hero".
Love
Dad
Great post. Great truth.
ReplyDeleteWonderfully said.
ReplyDeleteI love that!
ReplyDeleteWhat a great post. You are such a strong person!
ReplyDeleteGreat post. Very profound and written beautifully.
ReplyDeleteThose comments from your Dad are just about the coolest thing I've seen in a long, long time. Lucky you. XO
ReplyDeleteWhat a great post. It's so refreshing to hear.
ReplyDelete