The true dynamics of any family reveal themselves when one member is sick. Take last night, for example. At 2:30am, Chick began to cry in her crib. Anyone who has been following our family for any amount of time knows how soundly our Chick sleeps. We can count on one hand the number of times we've had to tend to her through the night since she was weeks old. So, when J. and I heard her in distress early this morning, we knew she needed us. What I love about our little family is that J. and I don't barter for who should get up with a sick or distressed child. Chick and Pea are our children equally and, therefore, we both care for them no matter what the hour.
So, at 2:30am, we both tended to Chick in each our own way in order to care for her (and her fever of 104.7˚F). Each of our children requires different care from J. and I. In this case, since it was Chick who needed care, J. took the reigns to cuddle her on the couch while I measured the appropriate dose of medicine and researched, online, steps to take to ease her discomfort. If it had been Pea who needed care, our roles would have been reversed. Pea usually needs comfort from me when he is sick and Chick typically prefers her father's comfort. Either way, we are there to support the other in a way that honours what our children need at the time.
Someday, after many seasons have come and gone and when I am no longer able to tell their story, I hope that Chick and Pea will read through the pages of this, the first chapter of their little lives, and know how much they are cherished. It's why I record stories like this.
Poor sweet Chick. That's a nasty high fever. How blessed she is to have two parents who love her so much and do all they can to meet her needs. Sure hope the meds worked quickly so that she could rest more comfortably. ((hugs))
ReplyDeleteI've been thinking of all of you! I am hoping that Chick is MUCH better this afternoon!
ReplyDeleteThankfully R and I both get up when Nugget is sick. Nugget wants comfort from me and often doesn't want R to even touch him, BUT R can't leave the room.
Sending prayers... I know it's so hard when your baby is so sick.
Feel better soon, Chick!
ReplyDeleteDon't get sick, Pea! (or K or J)