Saturday, January 16, 2010

Somebody Puked In The Pool...Or, Happy Five Months, Babies!! Where Do We Claim Our "Parents of the Year" Award?

Most parents, I suspect, mark months or years of birth with cuddles, by reminiscing over cherished photos, or with a celebration of some sort. K2 and I? Well, we like to scar our children for life.

To celebrate our babies' fifth month of life, we decided to take them swimming for the very first time. The fantasy in our heads was beautiful:
We'd buy those cutsie "L'il Swimmers" diapers, we'd dress them in adorable swimwear, and we'd bond in the warm water while floating peacefully amid the waves.

The reality?

The entire change room smelled of urine, kids were slamming doors, parents were yelling at their kids, someone had puked in the pool before we were set to go in and they had to close it for twenty minutes. When we were finally allowed to enter the pool, the babies LOST. IT. Chick was crying and shaking so violently that other kids were playing in the wake she caused. Pea completely shut down and held onto K2 for dear life. We felt so badly. We tried to sing songs to calm them, but they were getting splashed left, right and center and couldn't concentrate on our voices. We stayed in a mere ten minutes before I made the executive decision to shut down the freak show...but, of course, not before we got pictures.

 If that's not a "I'll never forgive you for this" smirk, I don't know what is.

 He's having SO much fun!!

Here are our growth shots for five months!

 Click to enlarge.

 Click to enlarge.

14 comments:

  1. I shouldn't laugh at your pool experience...but I am.

    Pea's 5 month picture is PRICELESS!!! It is incredible how much they have grown!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry the first experience at the pool wasn't as nice as you expected. But you should not put the blame on you.

    Chick and Pea are getting so big!!!
    Really like these pics.

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. At least it wasn't YOUR kid that puked in the pool. One of mine did it at a hotel pool. And I had to find the chunks and fish them out by hand. Good times.

    NONE of my first four liked water at first, which is strange, because I LOVE to swim. I blame it all on Anthony, because he hates swimming. They all screamed and cried. They didn't really "get into it" until they were about 3. Adam and Jeane don't mind it toooo much, but are sceptical. We'll see how it goes.....

    Thanks for posting what a typical first time in the water looked like for us. Oooohhh...the memories....LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You tried...truly you did. Sorry it didn't work out so well. :o( If you ever want to try again...when the kids have forgotten about this experience, Hannah and I would love to join you! Our first lesson Thursday went well and I must admit to loving that they keep the water at 88o! She still shivered a bit but not bad.

    Love the monthly pics and this one of Pea is adorable! He looks so proud about how grown up he's getting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poor Chick, Pea, K1 and K2! It doesn't exactly sound like the best way to spend a day.

    Happy five months, little ones.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry to hear the pool was not quite what you hoped it would be ;-)

    I love, love the pictures of the babies next to the stuffed animal. They are getting so big!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. K2 looks like he's laughing - what's that about?

    Poor babes. On the bright side, they've already forgotten about the experience.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thought the story was going to be one of them puked in the pool! This was only slightly less traumatic and gross.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Too funny! Poor Pea.....little traumatized thing. They'll forgive you, I'm sure, after years of therapy...
    Do they have any 'quiet time' sorts of swims for the little ones?

    ReplyDelete
  10. You will all get over it.

    Is it bad that I laughed just a little?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh dear. Those two do not look happy. Maybe when they get a little older they'll enjoy the water.

    They are getting so big!

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOL! You live and you learn I guess! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Eeep...that is not a fun experience. Is there a quiet mom and tot time?

    They are getting to be so big!

    Keep smilin!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oops! I'm guessing that they next swim lessons will be in the bathtub?

    ReplyDelete