Friday, January 15, 2010

I'm Old And That's Okay

Now that the babies are awake for longer periods throughout the day, I've started to look at various city programs that will break up the monotony of my parenting day so that the babies don't get bored. The thing is, it is difficult to consider any program on my own, since many require the use of both hands for one child. Swimming is not an option for me at this point (we'll wait until spring when K2 can join us in the evenings), neither is Salsa Babies (in which the parent dances with one baby in a Snugli), Mommy and Baby Yoga, etc.

The one option I thought I could handle on my own was the local library program called Baby on Board. A leader sings songs and tells stories while parents hold their babies and sing along. Well, we ventured off to this program yesterday (the brave soul that I am) and though it was okay, the babies weren't able to get the full effect of all the hand and body motions required as they were both on my lap and I had to make sure neither fell over throughout the session. Next week, I may wrangle my mom or dad to come with us.

The other weird part (like the singing and exaggerated voices weren't weird enough) was that I was easily the eldest of all the mothers in the room. I truly don't think there was a mom there over the age of 25. I haven't really thought much about my age in these past five months until I plopped myself in a circle of very young, very perky moms. I do know that having had these babies at the age I am now is benefiting them as I am a much more patient and selfless person now than I would have been at 27 when we started trying to have a family.

In other news, last week Pea rolled from his front to his back and I captured it on camera.<--link This morning, I captured him rolling from his back to his front! Miss Chick still has no interest in doing either, although she rolls very well to the side. She is so much like me in that the more we prod her to do something, the less inclined she is to do it. Miss Passive Aggressive must decide for herself when she is ready, I suppose.



Pea Rolling From Back to Front from Two Kayaks on Vimeo.



Photo Sharing - Video Sharing - Photo Printing

13 comments:

  1. Pea is tooo cute..
    super strong.. and crawling is next.. watch out Mommy and Daddy..
    Hugs..
    Have a great weekend..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucy has been rolling over too, so crazy for these little babies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can DEFINITELY attest to the fact that I am a better mother now than I was back when I was 24. I have grown so much, although my children have probably helped in that process....:-) I just think that when you are a bit older, you are a little more....mellow. Mellow is goooood.

    PS- That being said, I think being 65 and starting a family is a little loopy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pea - you are amazing!!

    CONGRATS!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you are old I am ancient. LOL.

    Glad you found something to get you out. It is very important not to lose contact with the world.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We ARE old....but fabulous!!

    Cari

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hear you about the old thing! I'd love to find a group of 30-something moms with babies. Good for you for taking them to the library!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Like Cari said, old but fabulous! Just like fine wine :).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes hearing you on the "old mom" thing. And I also happen to believe I am a better mom now than I would have been 10 years ago.

    But I would love to have their energy!!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. We are not old! We are just much better moms than we would have been 20 years ago.

    ANd I'm betting that you are going to hear a ton of "I want to do it MYSELF" from Chick when she is able to talk. She sounds like such an independent little soul.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hear you. There are some things I can do with two just because they're mobile, but some are just out of the question for now. And some are just more difficult.

    Remind me to tell you about their adventures in the toy box going down the window seat stairs some time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, they are growing so fast!
    You are not old (you should see the looks when I walk in a room with those 20 something Mom's!).
    Lots of fun times ahead!

    Alyzabeth's Mommy

    ReplyDelete