Saturday, April 25, 2009

Prom

Do you remember yours?  Did you even go?  Who was your date?  Did you go solo?  Is it a night that you would want to remember?  Do you have pictures of the gawd awful dress or tuxedo you wore?

This past month, I (and two of my colleagues) have been feverishly organizing our school's prom and last night was the big night.  A prom in 2009 is certainly different than the prom I attended in 1991.  My first clue that things would be different was when I had to call our local police department to arrange for two officers to be present for the duration of the night.  I don't recall officers being present at my prom.  Another difference was that the banquet hall we rented was nicer than my wedding reception hall.  No joke.  I think, when it was all said and done, just the facility alone (not including the four course meal, drinks, DJ, and decorations) was something like $13 000.  If I remember correctly, my prom was in our school's gymnasium and our group of friends went out to dinner on our own beforehand.

The night was a beautiful one and all of the students had a great time.  No one seemed blatantly intoxicated or high and no one had to be thrown out.  A success.

I managed to drag my sorry butt through the door at about 1:00am last night and am still feeling the effects of a late Friday night this morning.  I guess I'm officially old.

One of the grade 12 teachers chaperoning the prom last night told me a funny story that I have to share.  She said that in her class this week, she drew a Value Line on the floor (a straight line across the middle of the class).  She had the students make up statements to agree or disagree on, then they had to move to the side of the line that best suited their opinion (similar to my Agree/Disagree activity from before).  She told me that one of the students wrote, "Mrs. (insert my last name here) could take Chuck Norris in a fight".  The entire class moved to the "Agree" side.  How funny is that?  What does this say about me??  Too funny.

12 comments:

  1. I would have to agree with the kids!! Nothing wrong with a tough chick!

    Is that a picture of last night??

    Glad you had a successful prom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi K1
    I am glad that everyone had a good time last night and that the police didn't have to do more than just be present.
    In eighteen years from now the kids will look back on their prom and brag about not needing the police even though they were present because they really didn't want to mess with Mrs K1.
    At my prom we had no police because the police in my home town numbered one and he didn't work after 4:00 PM
    Congratulations to you and your fellow teachers who made last night possible for the young adults. They will have a lifetime of memories thanks to you and your friends!
    Love
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it says you are an amazingly strong woman. Something I always thought...

    You can totally kick Chuck Norris' butt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did not go to my prom. I asked a couple of guy friends and was turned down. Ouch! I remember going to see Top Gun that night with another friend who didn't have a date for the prom. Pretty pathetic.

    You are a tough cookie.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would pay good money to see you take Chuck Norris, lady :0)

    Egads...13K....my prom was pretty low rent then too back there in the mid-eighties.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good dawg! $13,000 for a prom? My how times have changed.

    Granted, ours was in a hotel, but I can't imagine that it cost that much.

    They covered the chairs? Wow, that's an expense right there.

    You could SO take Chuck Norris, with both hands tied behind your back...blindfolded.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful!! Prom holds such special memories for so many. I don't remember if our school had a prom or not which answers the question if I went or not. :o)

    Oooo...wanna see you take Chuck Norris. You go girl!!

    Hope today is restful for you. Tomorrow will be fun to hear the kids stories of their prom that you played such an important role in creating!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You can take on Chuck Norris, Steven Seagal and Jean Claude Van Damme and not mess a hair on that lovely head of yours.

    Our was in a hotel...but 13K...that is a lot of moolah.

    Hope you are feeling wel rested today!

    Keep smilin!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My prom was very 80's...I still have one photo...sad hair and makeup.

    geez, $13K sound like a lot for high shcool kids.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, that IS funny. You must be tough....I won't pick on you any more, I guess....:-)

    I remember my grade twelve grad. It was fun, but my date was a TOTAL jerk and ABANDONED me. SO I ended up just hanging out with a friend on an "unofficial" date. Then he got too drunk and passed out on the floor. I drove him and his other friend home whereupon his friend professed his undying love for me and told me he had love me, like, forever. Okaaaay then.

    ReplyDelete
  11. looks lovely
    but I was hoping for a you picture.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are one kick ass chick! Glad everything went well at the prom and the police were nothing more than a presence.

    I never went to my prom. Sometimes I wonder if I missed anything by not going.

    ReplyDelete