Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Lucky #13?

Photobucket


Thirteen Bullets as I begin my thirteenth year of teaching (my second year teaching religion in high school):

PhotobucketBeginning the school year yesterday in a real classroom with real desks makes ALL the difference.

PhotobucketLast year, I didn't know a soul and it was difficult to gain trust. Walking through the high school halls yesterday, I knew this year would be different. Students from grades 11 and 12 ran up to me with huge hellos and tales from their summer vacations. It's nice to be known and cared for.

Photobucket Having an organized semester of plans already made, complete with photocopies has paid off in spades. There is a kind of calm in me this year, having had one full year of high school teaching now under my belt, that I did not have last year.

PhotobucketIt was 94 degrees in my portable today. I felt sad for my fully uniformed students.

PhotobucketK2 had to kill two wasp nests in my portable this morning. One was in the window and the other was in the vent. Yesterday, my students were very distracted by the wasps.

PhotobucketIt's nice working with K2. He kills bees' nests for me AND brings me coffee.

PhotobucketHave faith in kids. My grade 11s are hungry for people to respect them and to take their views seriously.

PhotobucketOne of my students told me about the death of his dad. Another spoke of the death of his sister. My students are hurting.

PhotobucketMy feet hurt. Standing all day in heels...not so great for the feet.

PhotobucketI love that my school has a very strict uniform policy. Our students look incredibly distinguished in their crisp white shirts, dress pants and black dress shoes. No cell phones, iPods, kilts or running shoes allowed. It's awesome.

PhotobucketI'm thinking of running a Social Justice group this year and taking students to a developing country during March Break.

PhotobucketI'll probably chicken out.

PhotobucketOne of my students from last year came to see me after school today. He said he was bummed that I wasn't teaching grade 12 this year and that I was the best teacher ever. It was nice of him to say it, but if I believe that then I have to believe it when a student tells me I suck. I can't take anything personally in this profession. For every kids who thinks I'm great, there is a kid who hates my ugly guts. I know this...no inflated head here.

PhotobucketOnly 27 more teaching days until Thanksgiving.

19 comments:

  1. Your school sounds nice. I wish more schools were like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope your year is a good one! That's awesome that the student made his way to tell you that you were his best teacher! That's awesome...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy that you are happy. Having one year under your belt adds confidence. I second that students emotion...you are amazing!

    Keep smilin!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe you can go a few times to the Street Patrols or something equivalent with your students first. It can be a good test before a developing country.
    Sounds like you'll have a great year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another school year!!!!Glad things are going well already.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another school year!!!!Glad things are going well already.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You sound so much more confident than you did this time last year. Once again, I can say, you are an amazing teacher, it's not surprising your student was disappointed you won't be teaching him. I just hope my kid gets a teacher like you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that you are counting down to Thanksgiving already! There was quiet a controversy here a couple of years ago when they tried to ban cell phones in the classes, don't know what would happen if they tried to ban iPods. It's a funny world.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is nice to be in your second year. i felt like a fish out of water my first year.

    As for Thanksgiving, we can make it there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds like it's going to an awesome year.
    I love how your students adore and respect you, it speaks volumes about what kind of teacher you are.
    Don't let go of your Social Justice idea, I think it's great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a difference a year makes. Glad to hear so many positive things for you. YOU deserve it friend. And, knowing you personally, you ARE an awesome teach and the kids are blessed and lucky to have you. Just the fact that you wrote bullet 7 says it all!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey, it's my thirteenth year, too! And, I'm starting to feel like it's a lucky one, indeed! Off to a good start...

    ReplyDelete
  13. haha..as a wife to a high school teacher for the past 11 years and experiencing teaching for the first time this semester...I totally get this post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like your thirteenth year is definitely starting out well!
    (and don't chicken out...that sounds like a wonderful plan! You can DO it!)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like it is going to a great year.

    I would take the compliments seriously. Yes leave the "this teacher sucks" comments in the ditch but take the compliments, you deserve them.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just started my 16th year as a school librarian! The beginning of school is so exciting. I'm the big nerd yelling "!!happy new year!!" to everyone on the 1st day.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks like the year is off to a good (albeit hot and waspy) start. I would be very distracted by the wasps too...they would have to go first.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I paused for a minute on those losses. Paused and took in a deep breath. That's so hard.

    DO the social justice thing K. DO IT.

    ReplyDelete
  19. 13 years teaching, wow I can't believe it...you look so young!
    Looks like you will be having a great year ahead!

    ReplyDelete